Sunday 14 October 2012

The Thing I Hate The Most

There are plenty of things to hate having to deal with, as a pro wrestler: the travel, having no toilets in a changing room, having no changing rooms to speak of, "bookers", venues that don't have a shower - there's enough things to make any man mentioning them sound like a diva having a fit. But there's one thing I truly hate having to do more than anything else, and that's walk through the curtain to the ring. Once I'm in the ring there's (usually) nothing to worry about, and waiting backstage very rarely produces problems, but the transition between the two is typically the hardest part of my night.

Right before my matches I make sure I've warmed up properly, and my muscles are loose, before preparing myself for the time where I have to cross the clothed threshold. In these minutes, I don't like talking to people; I just keep my head down and pace the same spot over and over again. I'm not entirely sure why that moment is the toughest for me, but I think it's something to do with considering it a point of no return; more than once I've heard my music start and thought about making a run for it.

It's ridiculous when you think about it too, as I'm about to be slammed around a ring, forearmed in the head, and stomped on, yet it's the act of walking to the aforementioned ring that turns my stomach into a butterfly collector. And no matter how many times I rationalise it to myself, making the point that I've done it a few hundred times before and that nothing horrible has happened so far, there is a zero percent improvement in my disposition when I hear the opening chords of whatever is playing for me on that night.

On the bright side of things, if walking through a curtain is the worse thing that I have to regularly deal with, I think I'm doing pretty good - lifestyle wise.


No comments:

Post a Comment